Day 1- introduction

 Day 1.


    I have been dabbling in raising monarchs since the age of 5, maybe raising one or two each summer.  This year I have decided to get serious about it. I have successfully raised about 20 adult butterflies this summer. Not bad.  I have learned a lot and still have so many questions about these beautiful insects!  I'm super thankful to r/MonarchButterfly on Reddit as they are always there to answer questions, offer support and share progress.  

    One of my most recent Butterflies to emerge from her chrysalis is mildly deformed and most likely has OE (Ophryocystis elektroscirrha), which spreads via spores.  I have no doubt she wasn't the only one to contract the disease, but she is severely effected by it and fell twice after emerging.  She doesn't fly and is struggling to eat from what I can tell.  I plan to keep her alive as best as I can for now as this is a great opportunity to closely study monarchs.  

    I am starting this blog to keep up with the things that I am learning about her day by day, and come summer time again, anything I can learn from my Cats and Butters for next time around.

    Most of all, I am deeply fascinated with the genetics of Monarchs, and for now, I don't have the means to study their minor variations and mutations, but I hope to set up a way to look at that in the future.  Imagine domesticating or selectively breeding butterflies.  It may, of course not be possible, but a girl can dream.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2- Trapped

Day 4- Domestic

First Egg of the Season