Tis the season!

 It's the very start of insect season here in Michigan! Here and there I have seen the common white butterflies, but I finally came across an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail! Generally, they are pretty fast, and always got away from me when I was little, but I got ahold of this one today!  He's a male, and I've named him Elce, after a character I made.  I have him set up in my butterfly house with some flowers and sugar water, he seems pretty stressed and hasn't eaten anything yet.  Interestingly, going back to my thoughts on domesticating butterflies, Elce seems very fearful of, and stressed around me compared to my monarchs that I have raised since eggs.  Could butterflies remember faces and learn to trust people?  Or does it come down the difference in species?  Assuming that some of the Monarchs that I raised return to their home plants this year, there could be a difference in their behavior around me.  Does this beautiful and mysterious insect have a unique long-term memory? Or do they only live off of instincts?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2- Trapped

Day 4- Domestic

First Egg of the Season