Day 4- Domestic

         Today I let Lucy outside for the first time to stretch her wings and get some well needed enrichment.  She is still a weak flyer, but she can glide in circles very well.  She just cannot fly upwards.  The most fascinating thing happened while we were out there, however.  If I held my hands out to Lucy, she would land in them.  That means there is something significant going on.  She has the intelligence to recognize her momma, whether its because I am a food source or because she knows I am not a threat. 

                                                         


        I cleaned her cage today as it was starting to smell strongly like butterfly.  I would assume from her waste.  She gets some fresh cut flowers today as her food source and I plan on giving her some orange slices (though I'm not looking forward to my room smelling of slowly rotting oranges which are sure to summon fruit flies).  I think I'll save the oranges for tomorrow.

        I look forward to one day having a big enough space to breed and domesticate butterflies.  However, I would rather a species that does not need to migrate as it seems cruel to keep large numbers of them away from such a beautiful and natural process.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2- Trapped

First Egg of the Season